The iOS App Programming and Web Development course will help any student to become competent in these two areas, both of which are vital in the modern world.
The course will focus first on iOS Application Programming. It is dedicated to teaching Swift programming, which is the new, powerful language for iOS. You will be introduced to best practices and will become proficient with syntax, object oriented principles, memory management, functional concepts and more in relation to Swift. You will also learn its new features and capabilities that will take you to the forefront of writing iOS apps. You will start with learning programming in Swift, then move into iOS App Development with Swift specialization. This will expand your programming skills and allow you to apply them to authentic app development projects.
The topics covered in this course include Xcode basics, Core iOS and Cocoa Touch frameworks, simple user interface creation, MVC Architecture and much more. With a focus on using Apple’s components to access device sensors like cameras, microphones and GPS, by the end of this course you will be able to create a basic App according to specified parameters and guidelines.
In the last phase of this section, you will be developing your foundational programming skills to support graphical element presentation and data manipulation from basic functions through to advanced processing. You will continue to build your skill set to use and apply core graphics, touch handling and gestures, animations and transitions, alerts and actions as well as advanced algorithms, threading and more. By the end of this course you will be able to develop a more advanced, fully functioning app.
The table below gives an indication of the subject areas that will be covered in each day’s lecture and seminar. Although every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, please note that topics and timings may be subject to change. Regarding topics, our teachers retain the flexibility to adapt to the academic interests of the students in the class, in order for the members of the class to benefit from their broad spectrum of knowledge and experience in the field.
|Week||Day||Lesson Number||Topic Covered|
|Week One||Sunday||Arrival Day – no classes|
|Monday||1||Introduction and Installations|
|Monday||2||Introduction to Swift Programming|
|Thursday||1||Image Processing in Swift|
|Thursday||2||Peer Assignment (InstaFilter Processor)|
|Friday||1||Welcome to iOS App Development|
|Friday||2||Further Introduction to XCode|
|Week Two||Sunday||No classes|
|Monday||1||UIKit and the Interface Builder|
|Monday||2||Building a Basic UI|
|Tuesday||1||Advanced UI Concepts|
|Tuesday||2||Introduction to Camera and Emailing|
|Wednesday||2||The Internet and the Web|
|Thursday||1||Web Development – HTML5|
|Friday||1||Styling your Website – CSS|
Why take this course?
The iOS App Programming and Web Development course is a fascinating and highly relevant programme designed for gap year student, undergraduates and others who wish to learn how to construct cutting-edge smartphone apps and websites.
Your time on this course will give you a deeper understanding of these technologies, which have become so fundamental to daily life, and will equip you with new knowledge and skills that have the potential to lead to a lucrative career, or to supercharge your own start-up business.
Even if you don’t target a career in tech, the course will provide useful background that will come in handy for a wide range of careers. In the modern workplace, knowledge of websites and apps is always helpful and in demand, so your attendance on the course will enhance your CV and set you apart from other candidates. What’s more, you will develop transferable skills – such as working effectively in a team – that will stand you in good stead at university or in your future career.
Every summer, ORA welcomes hundreds of the world’s brightest, most academically gifted students to our Oxford courses. In 2017, attendees came from 135 different nations, each bringing with them unique cultures, perspectives and stories to share with their new friends.
Timetable for students aged 19 to 25
Our Academic Faculty
Our iOS App Programming and Web Development course has been designed by Fredah Banda, a DPhil candidate at the University of Oxford and a lecturer in Computer Engineering. She has worked as a software development consultant and has previously taught ORA’s Computer Science Programme.
At Oxford Royale Academy we are committed to providing our students with the most qualified and high-calibre teaching available. All Oxford Royale Academy teachers are passionate about their subject, and are looking forward to passing their knowledge on to their students this summer! For full details of last summer’s teaching faculty, please click here.
Guest Lectures and Debates
At ORA, we go the extra mile to enhance the study abroad experience of our students. As part of this, every year our dedicated Events Team organises a series of fascinating guest lectures. Leadership is important in any profession and workplace, and so this year students will be invited to attend an afternoon of guest speakers discussing inspirational, political, and entrepreneurial leadership at the Saïd Business School. Speakers include Dr. Tereza Capelos, Senior Lecturer in Political Psychology; Dr. Simon Adderley, Senior Lecturer in Entrepreneurship at Oxford Brookes University; and Jenny Garrett – an award winning Executive Career Coach, Inspirational Leadership Trainer, TEDx Speaker, and entrepreneur! Our students also have the opportunity to watch and participate in a number of debates, which take place on campus. These range from formal Panel Debates to informal discussions about current ‘hot topics’ led by ORA staff.
Before You Arrive
The following texts and activities are recommended as pre-reading and preparation for this course:
iOS 10 Programming Fundamentals with Swift, Matt Neuburg, September 2016, O’Reilly Media
Observing the theory learned in class put into practice, gives one a new perspective and invigoration for a subject. This is never more true than with technology and seeing what it can and has already achieved. We believe it is important for our students to experience this, and so students on the iOS App Programming and Web Development course will travel to Transport Systems Catapult in Milton Keynes – a centre which promotes innovation and elite technology, focusing on ‘Intelligent Mobility’. Students will meet senior staff, including Technical Director Mark Westwood and Dave Barnett, Lead Software and Systems Engineer. They will also visit the home of Jaguar Land Rover at Castle Bromwich, where they will receive an educational seminar of the computer science behind making cars.
Although you’ll be immersed in learning the possibilities of tech development for the majority of your time with Oxford Royale Academy, you can look forward to some well-earned time off to help you relax and absorb what you’ve learned. You’ll have the opportunity to explore the historic city of Oxford, and you’ll get to go on day trips to exciting places such as London or Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon. You can choose how to spend your evenings from a fun programme of activities including salsa dancing lessons and karaoke, and at the end of the course, you’ll come together with your fellow students to celebrate your achievements in a special graduation ceremony and dinner.
Some past afternoon activities enjoyed by our students include the following:
- Punting: travel the waterways of the River Cherwell in a flat-bottomed boat, using a five-metre-long pole to propel your vessel! This mode of transport is unique to Oxford and Cambridge.
- Summer sports: have you ever played the traditional English game of croquet? There will be the chance to do so on the lawns of your campus! Real tennis (a variation of tennis played indoors, with a heavier ball) has also been enjoyed by our previous students.
- College and museum tours: An ORA course is the perfect opportunity to visit some of the University of Oxford’s most famous Colleges (including New College, Magdalen College and Christ Church). You will also have the chance to visit Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum – famous for being the world’s first university museum.
- Dance and music workshops: have you ever wanted to try Indian dance? How about Salsa dancing? Or drumming? Experts in these art forms will be dropping in to our campuses to run workshops, allowing our students to unleash their creative sides.
The events and entertainment on offer don’t stop when the sun starts to go down at our campuses! The following will be available to every student on this programme:
- Outdoor theatre: many Oxford Colleges put on Shakespeare plays in their quads and gardens throughout the summer months.
- Karaoke in Oxford: head to a venue in Oxford and sing along to the latest hits.
- Themed parties at local hotels and country houses: head to a local venue and enjoy dinner and dancing with your friends from around the world; past venues include Ardington House in Oxfordshire and The Randolph Hotel in the city of Oxford. Every party has a theme: Hollywood, Venetian Masquerade and The Olympics are examples of past themes.
- Graduation: a formal graduation ceremony will be held on the last night of your course. This is followed by your Graduation dinner and party — a glamorous conclusion to your stay in Oxford!
Oxford Royale Academy’s summer programmes are designed with the academic rigour of their prestigious environment firmly in mind. Students studying ORA’s iOS App Programming and Web Development programme will live and study in the historic city of Oxford, providing them with a unique opportunity to discover the atmosphere and architecture of its world-renowned university buildings. Our courses for students aged 19-25 are residential in Oxford University colleges, offering a peaceful and scholarly environment in which to live and study. Participants will have plenty of free time to enjoy independent exploration of the inspirational city of Oxford, and to conduct their own research in Oxford’s libraries.
Our summer courses offer our students the complete study abroad experience. The grid below describes everything that is included with an ORA adult course:
- Over 15 taught hours per week
- Study files and materials
- Guest lectures from academic speakers
- Access to Oxford’s famous Bodleian Library
- Course certificate after graduation
- Wide selection of optional afternoon and evening activities
- 2 coach excursions per course
- Welcome and graduation events (+1s invited)
- Discounts at shops around Oxford
- Accommodation in the University of Oxford
- City centre location
- Free WiFi (subject to availability)
- Free time outside of classes
- Private Medical / Travel insurance
- Graduation Ball
- Conversation Cafe
- A formal dinner at an exclusive Oxfordshire culinary destination
- After-hours event at Oxford’s Ashmolean museum.
- ORA memorabilia
The safety and security of our students is ORA’s top priority. All of the centres at which our courses run are safe, secure environments, which are perfect for our students. Each centre is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by a team of Porters. In addition, Oxford Royale Academy’s comprehensively trained team of campus staff are always on hand. If you join us this summer, you will see the following members of staff on your campus:
Some classes on the iOS App Programming and Web Development course will take place in College; others are held at nearby venues in the city.a
Most students who come to ORA will have to book a flight to the UK. ORA courses do not include flights. Information on the best time to arrive will be on your course confirmation email and in your Welcome Pack.
Arrival / Departure Transfers
ORA offers coach transfers between all of our Oxford campuses and London Heathrow airport, for a small extra charge. For more information, please click here.
Welcome Reception and Graduation
Family are welcome to attend these events at the start and end of their student’s course. For more information, please contact our Registrations Department on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Medical and Dietary Information
All students who enrol are required to complete our Medical and Dietary Information form. A link will be emailed to all students once their enrolment is confirmed.
Eligibility and Pre-requisites
Students on the iOS App Programming and Web Development programme:
- Must conform to our Age Policy.
- Must be fluent or near-fluent English language speakers – if you are unsure whether your English level is suitable for this programme, please contact our Registrations Team on email@example.com and they will be able to assist you.
- Must be able to fulfil the basic requirements of the programme, in terms of attendance at lessons, meals and events. Please contact our Registrations Team for more detailed information.
Dates, Fees and Locations
|Course Length||Course Dates||Course Fees||Location|
|2 weeks||1 Jul – 14 Jul||4,295 GBP||Oxford University accommodation|
How to Apply
If you prefer, you can complete our paper application form, which is available for download by clicking here. You can then return this to our offices by one of the following methods:
- Scan and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to +44 (0) 845 130 01 22
- Post to the address below
For enrolments via the paper application form, we are able to accept the GBP 795.00 course deposit by credit or debit card, bank transfer or cheque. Please see the form for full details.