For older students, ORA offers Film Academy for 16-18 years.
The first part of the process is to learn the basics of production – planning, script writing and development, location scouting, and storyboarding. Once students are ready to start filming they work in small groups using the latest HD video cameras, professional microphones and lighting equipment to shoot their production on location. Once the film is ‘in the can’ students use the latest Apple Macs and Final Cut Pro to edit their masterpiece. Credits and titles complete the production, followed by mastering for the students’ own portfolio, for the web and for release at the graduation ceremony.
The programme is very much ‘hands on’. From day one students get to use HD Digital Camcorders. The course teachers are established industry professionals with a passion for crafting moving images.
The programme includes:
Over 20 hours per week of Film Academy lessons and workshops.
Access to the latest HD video camcorders, equipment and Apple Mac edit suites with Final Cut Pro.
Industry professional guest speakers.
Graduation event including film premieres.
Full social and cultural programme with Oxford Royale students from other courses.
Coach trips to London, Blenheim Palace and beyond.
Live-in staff members.
Our Film Academy is a two-week extensive HD Digital Video Production course where students learn the whole process of video production from the initial idea through to a final film. The course shows students how to plan, storyboard, script and then shoot and edit a short drama or a documentary. The first part of the process is to learn the basics of production – planning, script writing and development, location finding and storyboarding. Once students are ready to start filming they work in small groups using the latest HD video cameras, professional microphones and lighting equipment to shoot their production on location. Once the film is ‘in the can’ students use the latest Apple Macs and Final Cut Pro to edit their masterpiece. Credits and titles complete the production, then mastering for the students’ own portfolio, for web and for release at the graduation ceremony. The programme is very much ‘hands on’. From day one students get to use HD Digital Camcorders. The course teachers are established industry professionals with a passion for crafting moving image.
Transferable Life Skills
- developing strengths in independence, self-regulation and self-assessment;
- confidence in dealing with a wide range of new people and situations;
- responsibility for own learning, time management, and working with others;
- communication skills in speaking, listening, and presenting effective arguments in a variety of different contexts.
Every summer, ORA welcomes hundreds of the world’s brightest, most academically gifted students to our Oxford courses. In 2016, attendees came from 108 different nations, each bringing with them unique cultures, perspectives and stories to share with their new friends. For the Film Academy programme, students from 13 nations attended.
Timetable for students aged 13 to 15
Our Teaching Faculty
At Oxford Royale Academy we are committed to providing our students with the most qualified and high-calibre teaching faculty available. All Oxford Royale Academy teachers are passionate about their subjects, and are looking forward to passing their knowledge on to their students this summer! For full details of last summer’s teaching faculty, please click here.
Guest Lectures and Debates
At ORA, we go the extra mile to enhance the study abroad experience of our students. As part of this, every year our dedicated Events Team organises a series of fascinating guest lectures. In 2014, these took place in the Examination Schools of the University of Oxford, allowing ORA students to experience a lecture in the same environment as a University undergraduate. Guest speakers come from a wide range of backgrounds and specialisms, including the worlds of online media, television and academia. Our students also have the opportunity to watch and participate in a number of debates, which take place on campus. These range from formal Panel Debates involving teaching faculty and other staff, to informal discussions about current “hot topics” led by Counsellors.
The United Kingdom has a rich cultural heritage, and a course with Oxford Royale Academy is the perfect way for a young learner to explore this. All ORA courses include coach excursions to places of historical and social significance in the UK. On the 13-15 Film Academy, attendees will board the ORA coach to two such destinations, with this doubling to four different excursions on a 4-week course. Last summer, coach excursions for students aged 13-15 included visits to the Tower of London, Blenheim Palace and Warwick Castle.
At ORA, we never forget that our students are on holiday! Included with every ORA course is an extra-curricular timetable, carefully designed by our dedicated Events Team to ensure our students have fun, make friends and get the most out of being in Oxford.
Some past afternoon activities enjoyed by our students include the following:
- Punting: travel the waterways of the River Cherwell in a flat-bottomed boat, using a five-metre-long pole to propel your vessel! This mode of transport is unique to Oxford and Cambridge. Our team of Counsellors will be on hand to advise you (or to do it for you!).
- Summer sports: have you ever played the traditional English game of croquet? There will be the chance to do so on the lawns of your accommodation! Real tennis (a variation of tennis played indoors, with a heavier ball) has also been enjoyed by our previous students.
- College and museum tours: if you are thinking of applying to study at the University of Oxford, an ORA course is the perfect opportunity to visit some of the institution’s most famous Colleges (including New College, Magdalen College and Christ Church). You will also have the chance to visit Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum – famous for being the world’s first university museum.
- Dance and music workshops: have you ever wanted to try Indian dance? How about Salsa dancing? Or drumming? Experts in these art forms will be dropping in to our campuses to run workshops, allowing our students to unleash their creative sides.
The events and entertainment on offer don’t stop when the sun starts to go down at our campuses! The following will be available to every student on our Oxford Summer English course:
- Film nights on campus: catch a movie with your new friends, without having to leave your accommodation.
- Karaoke in Oxford: head to a venue in Oxford and sing along to the latest hits.
- Themed parties at local hotels and country houses: head to a local venue and enjoy dinner and dancing with your friends from around the world; past venues include Ardington House in Oxfordshire and The Randolph Hotel in the city of Oxford. Every party has a theme: Hollywood, Venetian Masquerade and the Olympics are examples of past themes.
- Graduation: a formal graduation ceremony will be held on the last night of your course. This is followed by your Graduation dinner and party — a glamorous conclusion to your stay in Oxford!
Our summer courses offer our students the complete study abroad experience. The grid below describes everything that is included with an ORA course:
- Over 20 taught hours per week
- Study files and materials
- Guest lectures from academic speakers
- Personalised academic reports
- Course certificate after graduation
- Wide selection of afternoon and evening activities
- 2 coach excursions per course
- Welcome and graduation events (parents invited)
- Discounts at shops around Oxford
- Accommodation in a college of the University of Oxford
- Breakfast and Dinner in the Hall
- Free WiFi (subject to availability)
- Daily updates on the ORA blog (great for parents!)
- Private Medical / Travel insurance
- ORA T-shirt
- ID badge and lanyard
- Welcome and arrival packs
- Year group photo
- Course memento photos
- ORA notebook
Oxford Royale Academy’s summer programmes are designed with the academic rigour of their prestigious environment firmly in mind. Students studying ORA’s Film Academy for 13-15 programme will live and study in the historic city of Oxford, providing them with a unique opportunity to discover the atmosphere and architecture of its world-renowned university buildings. This course is residential in both Jowett Walk and St Peter’s College. Jowett Walk is an annexe of Balliol College. This comfortable, modern accommodation is located a mere five minutes’ walk from the city centre, and includes excellent sports facilities. St Peter’s College is a small and friendly College located right in the city centre. Founded in 1929, it combines traditional and modern architectural styles.
The safety and security of our students is ORA’s top priority. All of the venues at which our courses run are safe, secure environments, which are perfect for our students. Each accommodation site is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by a team of Porters. In addition, Oxford Royale Academy’s comprehensively trained team of campus staff are always on hand. If you join us this summer, you will see the following members of staff on your campus:
Some lessons on the 13-15 Film Academy programme take place in the accommodation; others involve getting out and about in Oxford and the surrounding area to shoot “on location”. Students will be escorted by technicians when out filming.
Most students who come to ORA will have to book a flight to the UK. ORA courses do not include flights. Information on the best time to arrive will be on your course confirmation email and in your Welcome Pack.
Arrival / Departure Transfers
ORA offers coach transfers between all of our Oxford campuses and London Heathrow airport, for a small extra charge. We are also able to arrange taxi transfers from all other airports and destinations, again at an extra charge. For more information, please click here.
Every year, ORA offers a number of scholarships to talented students aged 13-15 from around the world. If you would like to read more about the financial aid we can offer, please click here.
Welcome Reception and Graduation
Parents / family are welcome to attend these events at the start and end of their student’s course. For more information, please contact our Registrations Department on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Medical and Dietary Information
All students who enrol are required to complete our Medical and Dietary Information form. A link will be emailed to all students once their enrolment is confirmed.
Eligibility and Pre-requisites
Students on the 13-15 Film Academy:
- Must conform to our Age Policy.
- Must be fluent or near-fluent English language speakers – if you are unsure whether your English level is suitable for this programme, please contact our Registrations Team on email@example.com and they will be able to assist you.
- Must be able to fulfil the basic requirements of the programme, in terms of attendance at lessons, meals and events. Please contact our Registrations Team for more detailed information.
Dates, Fees and Locations
|Course Length||Course Dates||Course Fees||Location|
|2 weeks||2 Jul – 15 Jul||4,595 GBP||St Peter’s College|
|16 Jul – 29 Jul||4,595 GBP||St Peter’s College or Jowett Walk (Balliol College)|
|30 Jul – 12 Aug||4,595 GBP||To Be Confirmed|
How to Apply
If you are ready to apply now, the quickest and easiest way to secure your place on the Film Academy programme for 2017 is online. You will need full details of the student and, if different, the customer responsible for paying the fees, as well as a valid credit or debit card to submit the deposit payment of GBP 795.00 (we regret that we are not able to accept American Express as a form of payment).
To get started, please click the link below – you will be asked to choose the date that you would like to study the course.
If you prefer, you can complete our paper application form, which is available for download by clicking here. You can then return this to our offices by one of the following methods:
- Scan and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to +44 (0) 845 130 01 22
- Post to the address below
For enrolments via the paper application form, we are able to accept the GBP 795.00 course deposit by credit or debit card, bank transfer or cheque. Please see the form for full details.