On this course, you’ll join students from all over the world as you develop your English skills for use in a variety of contexts. You’ll extend your vocabulary, grammar and syntax, and work on your reading, writing and listening skills through discussing a variety of world topics in English. You’ll improve your conversational English, as well as working on your skills at using English in the workplace or in academic contexts. You will build on your pronunciation and learn how to speak colloquially in English. Throughout the course, you’ll have lots of opportunities to practise what you’ve learned, which will help you make quick progress even in areas where you may previously have struggled.
Why take this course?
The Oxford Royale Academy English course is suitable for anyone aged 19 to 25. If you’re planning to study at an English-speaking university, you’ll find the course a useful way of improving your English for academic and social contexts. The course will help you develop your English skills with a view to working in an English-speaking company, or being able to communicate with business contacts in English within an overseas company. Whatever stage you are at in your education or career, the course will enhance your CV and you’ll grow more confident at expressing yourself in English. What’s more, you’ll pick up useful transferable skills, such as working effectively with others and communicating clearly, which will stand you in excellent stead in any situation. The course will also allow you to get more out of travel opportunities to English-speaking countries.
Every summer, ORA welcomes hundreds of the world’s brightest, most academically gifted students to our Oxford courses. Our campuses always feature a diverse mix of nationalities and gender. Students will have extensive opportunities to make connections and friends who will last into later professional life.
Timetable for students aged 19 to 25
Our Teaching Faculty
At Oxford Royale Academy we are committed to providing our students with the most qualified and high-calibre teaching available. All Oxford Royale Academy teachers are passionate about their subject, and are looking forward to passing their knowledge on to their students this summer! For full details of last summer’s teaching faculty, please click here
Guest Lectures and Debates
At ORA, we go the extra mile to enhance the study abroad experience of our students. As part of this, every year our dedicated Events Team organises a series of fascinating guest lectures. Leadership is important in any profession and workplace, and so this year students will be invited to attend an afternoon of guest speakers discussing inspirational, political, and entrepreneurial leadership at the Saïd Business School. Speakers include Dr. Tereza Capelos, Senior Lecturer in Political Psychology; Dr. Simon Adderley, Senior Lecturer in Entrepreneurship at Oxford Brookes University; and Jenny Garrett – an award winning Executive Career Coach, Inspirational Leadership Trainer, TEDx Speaker, and entrepreneur! Our students also have the opportunity to watch and participate in a number of debates, which take place on campus. These range from formal Panel Debates to informal discussions about current ‘hot topics’ led by ORA staff.
The United Kingdom has a rich cultural heritage, and a course with Oxford Royale Academy is the perfect way for a student to explore this. All ORA courses include cultural excursions to places of historical and social significance in the UK. On the General English programme, attendees will be taken to two such destinations. Last summer’s excursions included visits to Blenheim Palace and London.
You’ll immerse yourself in English during your time at Oxford Royale Academy, but it’s not all classroom-based study. We’ll organise day trips so that you can get out and about and use your English skills ‘in the field’, exploring interesting places such as London or Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon. In the evening, you’ll be able to relax with a choice of activities, from movie nights to salsa dancing lessons – as well as free time to explore the city. At the end of your course, your achievements will be recognised in a special graduation ceremony and dinner.
Some past afternoon activities enjoyed by our students include the following:
- Punting: travel the waterways of the River Cherwell in a flat-bottomed boat, using a five-metre-long pole to propel your vessel! This mode of transport is unique to Oxford and Cambridge.
- Summer sports: have you ever played the traditional English game of croquet? There will be the chance to do so on the lawns of your campus! Real tennis (a variation of tennis played indoors, with a heavier ball) has also been enjoyed by our previous students.
- College and museum tours: An ORA course is the perfect opportunity to visit some of the University of Oxford’s most famous Colleges (including New College, Magdalen College and Christ Church). You will also have the chance to visit Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum – famous for being the world’s first university museum.
- Dance and music workshops: have you ever wanted to try Indian dance? How about Salsa dancing? Or drumming? Experts in these art forms will be dropping in to our campuses to run workshops, allowing our students to unleash their creative sides.
The events and entertainment on offer don’t stop when the sun starts to go down at our campuses! The following will be available to every student on this programme:
- Outdoor theatre: many Oxford Colleges put on Shakespeare plays in their quads and gardens throughout the summer months.
- Karaoke in Oxford: head to a venue in Oxford and sing along to the latest hits.
- Themed parties at local hotels and country houses: head to a local venue and enjoy dinner and dancing with your friends from around the world; past venues include Ardington House in Oxfordshire and The Randolph Hotel in the city of Oxford. Every party has a theme: Hollywood, Venetian Masquerade and The Olympics are examples of past themes.
- Graduation: a formal graduation ceremony will be held on the last night of your course. This is followed by your Graduation dinner and party — a glamorous conclusion to your stay in Oxford!
Oxford Royale Academy’s summer programmes are designed with the academic rigour of their prestigious environment firmly in mind. Students studying ORA’s General English programme will live and study in the historic city of Oxford, providing them with a unique opportunity to discover the atmosphere and architecture of its world-renowned university buildings. Our courses for students aged 19-25 are residential in Merton College, offering a peaceful and scholarly environment in which to live and study. The College has a desirable city-centre location just off the High Street, and has long held a reputation for academic excellence. Participants will have plenty of free time to enjoy independent exploration of the inspirational city of Oxford, and to conduct their own research in Oxford’s libraries.
Our summer courses offer our students the complete study abroad experience. The grid below describes everything that is included with an ORA adult course:
- Over 15 taught hours per week
- Study files and materials
- Guest lectures from academic speakers
- Access to Oxford’s famous Bodleian Library
- Course certificate after graduation
- Wide selection of optional afternoon and evening activities
- 2 coach excursions per course
- Welcome and graduation events (+1s invited)
- Discounts at shops around Oxford
- Accommodation in the University of Oxford
- City centre location
- Free WiFi (subject to availability)
- Free time outside of classes
- Private Medical / Travel insurance
- Graduation Ball
- Conversation Cafe
- A formal dinner at an exclusive Oxfordshire culinary destination
- After-hours event at Oxford’s Ashmolean museum.
- ORA memorabilia
The safety and security of our students is ORA’s top priority. All of the centres at which our courses run are safe, secure environments, which are perfect for our students. Each centre is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by a team of Porters. In addition, Oxford Royale Academy’s comprehensively trained team of campus staff are always on hand. If you join us this summer, you will see the following members of staff on your campus:
Some classes on the General English course will take place in College; others are held at nearby venues in the city.
Most students who come to ORA will have to book a flight to the UK. ORA courses do not include flights. Information on the best time to arrive will be on your course confirmation email and in your Welcome Pack.
Arrival / Departure Transfers
ORA offers coach transfers between all of our Oxford campuses and London Heathrow airport, for a small extra charge. For more information, please click here.
Welcome Reception and Graduation
Family are welcome to attend these events at the start and end of their student’s course. For more information, please contact our Registrations Department on email@example.com.
Medical and Dietary Information
All students who enrol are required to complete our Medical and Dietary Information form. A link will be emailed to all students once their enrolment is confirmed.
Eligibility and Pre-requisites
Students on the General English programme:
- Must conform to our Age Policy.
- Must have a CEFR level B1 or equivalent – if you are unsure whether your English level is suitable for this programme, please contact our Registrations Team on firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be able to assist you.
- Must be able to fulfil the basic requirements of the programme, in terms of attendance at lessons, meals and events. Please contact our Registrations Team for more detailed information.
Dates, Fees and Locations
|Course Length||Course Dates||Course Fees||Location|
|2 weeks||1 Jul – 14 Jul||4,295 GBP||Merton College|
How to Apply
If you prefer, you can complete our paper application form, which is available for download by clicking here. You can then return this to our offices by one of the following methods:
- Scan and e-mail to email@example.com
- Fax to +44 (0) 845 130 01 22
- Post to the address below
For enrolments via the paper application form, we are able to accept the GBP 795.00 course deposit by credit or debit card, bank transfer or cheque. Please see the form for full details.