Class sizes for morning and afternoon sessions are kept to a maximum of 12 students. Attendees on this programme come from all over the world, staying for up to 4 weeks.
ORA also offers an EFL programme residential in Oxford.
The teaching programme consists of over 20 taught hours per week (15 class hours and 6 taught workshop hours). Our London Summer English programme encourages students to learn English and develop their ability to communicate with people from different cultures and countries. ORA promotes a coherent multi-cultural approach to English language learning, encouraging students to share ideas and focus on the positive aspects of actively expanding their English abilities.
- Colloquial English
How ORA will improve students’ English in and out of school:
- ORA has its own English programme developed by EFL experts;
- London Summer English maximises student learning in small class sizes;
- ORA’s EFL teachers use dynamic, interactive and fun student-centred teaching methods;
- ORA’s EFL courses are integrated with cultural activities and excursions outside of the classroom to provide context and practical application opportunities.
This course aims to:
- help students quickly improve their English skills for general contexts;
- build students’ confidence in their use of spoken English;
- develop students’ knowledge of English grammar, syntax and vocabulary;
- improve students’ English reading and writing skills;
- encourage independent learning;
- provide an insight into various aspects of British culture;
- promote the discussion in English of general topics of world interest.
Why choose our EFL course?
Transferable Life Skills
- developing strengths in independence, self-regulation and self-assessment;
- confidence in dealing with a wide range of new people and situations;
- responsibility for own learning, time management, and working with others;
- communication skills in speaking, listening, and presenting effective arguments in a variety of different contexts.
Every summer, ORA welcomes hundreds of the world’s brightest, most academically gifted students to our courses. In 2016, attendees came from 108 different nations, each bringing with them unique cultures, perspectives and stories to share with their new friends.
Our Teaching Faculty
At Oxford Royale Academy we are committed to providing our students with the most qualified and high-calibre teaching faculty available. All Oxford Royale Academy teachers are passionate about their subjects, and are looking forward to passing their knowledge on to their students this summer! For full details of last summer’s teaching faculty, please click here.
Guest Lectures and Debates
At ORA, we go the extra mile to enhance the study abroad experience of our students. As part of this, every year our dedicated Events Team organises a series of fascinating guest lectures. Guest speakers come from a wide range of backgrounds and specialisms, including the worlds of online media, television and academia. Our students also have the opportunity to watch and participate in a number of debates, which take place on campus. These range from formal Panel Debates involving teaching faculty and other staff, to informal discussions about current “hot topics” led by Counsellors.
The United Kingdom has a rich cultural heritage, and a course with Oxford Royale Academy is the perfect way for a young learner to explore this. All ORA courses include coach excursions to places of historical and social significance in the UK. On a 2-week London Summer English course, attendees will board the ORA coach to two such destinations, with this doubling to four different excursions on a 4-week course. Last summer, coach excursions for students aged 16-18 included visits to Blenheim Palace, Hampton Court and Bath.
At ORA, we never forget that our students are on holiday! Included with every ORA course is an extra-curricular timetable, carefully designed by our dedicated Events Team to ensure our students have fun, make friends and get the most out of being in the UK.
Some past afternoon activities enjoyed by our students include the following:
- Summer sports: there will be various sporting activities organised by your campus in your accommodation’s sports facilities and nearby locations. Past students have enjoyed tennis, football and croquet.
- Museum tours: if you are thinking of applying to study at a UK university, an ORA course is the perfect opportunity to immerse yourself in British culture. London boasts all manner of highly-regarded university campuses and fascinating museums.
- Dance and music workshops: have you ever wanted to try Indian dance? How about Salsa dancing? Or drumming? Experts in these art forms will be dropping in to our campuses to run workshops, allowing our students to unleash their creative sides.
The events and entertainment on offer at our campuses don’t stop when the sun starts to go down! The following will be available to every student on our London Summer English Programme:
- Film nights on campus: catch a movie with your new friends, without having to leave your accommodation!
- Karaoke: head to London venue and sing along to the latest hits!
- Themed parties at local hotels and country houses: head to a local venue and enjoy dinner and dancing with your friends from around the world. Every party has a theme: Hollywood, Venetian Masquerade and the Olympics are examples of past themes.
- Graduation: a formal graduation ceremony will be held on the last night of your course. This is followed by your Graduation dinner and party — a glamorous conclusion to your stay in London!
Our summer courses offer our students the complete study abroad experience. The grid below describes everything that is included with this ORA course:
- Over 20 taught hours per week
- Study files and materials
- Guest lectures from academic speakers
- Personalised academic reports
- Course certificate after graduation
- Wide selection of afternoon and evening activities
- 2 coach excursions per course
- Welcome and graduation events (parents invited)
- London university accommodation
- Breakfast and Dinner included
- Free WiFi (subject to availability)
- Daily updates on the ORA blog (great for parents!)
- Private Medical / Travel insurance
- ORA T-shirt
- ID badge and lanyard
- Welcome and arrival packs
- Year group photo
- Course memento photos
- ORA notebook
The safety and security of our students is ORA’s top priority. All of the venues at which our courses take place are safe, secure environments, which are perfect for our students. Each venue is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – Oxford Royale Academy’s comprehensively trained team of campus staff are always on hand. If you join us this summer, you will see the following members of staff on your campus:
Lessons on the London Summer English programme will take place either in teaching rooms on the same site as the accommodation, or at nearby venues in London. Students who are required to travel to alternative venues are escorted by Counsellors on the first day, so they know how to get there safely and on time.
Most students who come to ORA will have to book a flight to the UK. ORA courses do not include flights. Information on the best time to arrive will be on your course confirmation email and in your Welcome Pack.
Every year, ORA offers a number of scholarships to talented students aged 16-18 from around the world. If you would like to read more about the financial aid we can offer, please click here.
Welcome Reception and Graduation
Parents / family are welcome to attend these events at the start and end of their student’s course. For more information, please contact our Registrations Department on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Medical and Dietary Information
All students who enrol are required to complete our Medical and Dietary Information form. A link will be emailed to all students once their enrolment is confirmed.
Eligibility and Pre-requisites
Students on the London Summer English course:
- Must conform to our Age Policy.
- Must be intermediate-level (B1) English language speakers – if you are unsure whether your English level is suitable for this programme, please contact our Registrations Team on email@example.com and they will be able to assist you.
- Must be able to fulfil the basic requirements of the programme, in terms of attendance at lessons, meals and events. Please contact our Registrations Team for more detailed information.
Dates, Fees and Locations
|Course Length||Course Dates||Course Fees||Location|
|2 weeks||2 Jul – 15 Jul||4,295 GBP||Goodenough College (London)|
|16 Jul – 29 Jul||4,295 GBP||Goodenough College (London)|
|4 weeks||2 Jul – 29 Jul||8,295 GBP||Goodenough College (London)|
|16 Jul – 12 Aug||8,295 GBP||Goodenough College (London)|
How to Apply
If you prefer, you can complete our paper application form, which is available for download by clicking here. You can then return this to our offices by one of the following methods:
- Scan and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to +44 (0) 845 130 01 22
- Post our head office address (provided on the form)
For enrolments via the paper application form, we are able to accept the GBP 795.00 course deposit by credit or debit card, bank transfer or cheque. Please see the form for full details.