For students aged 13-15, ORA offers an Introduction to Architecture course.
On ORA’s Summer Architecture Programme students will learn the principles of design, mapping, spatial planning and analysis essential to portfolio development. They will also be introduced to the basic concepts of construction and engineering that will underpin their future careers in and studies of architecture.
On this dedicated architecture summer programme, students will consider the modern role of the architect and space in our built environment, honing the key spatial thinking and verbal communication skills required for the creation and planning of all aspects of design projects. Students will also develop the practical and technical skills essential in the field: this course will introduce students to architectural drawing and model construction in manual and digital formats. These skills will then be put to the test in a final group-based design portfolio competition, allowing students to pair their theoretical and technical understanding with team-oriented skills developed over the course of the programme.
Students should have a keen interest in architecture and will have ideally studied Mathematics, Physics and/or Art and Design, but advanced knowledge is not required. The course is for fluent English speakers and is two weeks in duration, with a choice of start dates throughout the summer.
Students receive more than 20 hours of teaching per week, in classes of no more than 15. Lessons on architectural theory combine with skills-based workshops to allow students to learn about all aspects of architecture and gain an impression of the undergraduate study of this fascinating subject.
Students will learn vital and invaluable skills for the modern workplace, which they will be able to use long after they leave the summer school. Through a variety of homework tasks, presentations and focus problems, students will develop their skills of communication (both written and verbal), problem solving and analytical thought. The course will include class visits to London to witness the latest innovations in modern architecture and design, and also to visit one of the UK’s foremost schools of architecture.
Transferable Life Skills
- developing strengths in independence, self-regulation and self-assessment;
- confidence in dealing with a wide range of new people and situations;
- responsibility for own learning, time management, and working with others;
- communication skills in speaking, listening, and presenting effective arguments in a variety of different contexts.
Every summer, ORA welcomes hundreds of the world’s brightest, most academically gifted students to our Oxford, Cambridge and London courses. In 2017, attendees came from 135 different nations, each bringing with them unique cultures, perspectives and stories to share with their new friends. On the Summer Architecture Programme, students from 18 nations attended.
Timetable for students aged 16 to 18
Our Teaching Faculty
At Oxford Royale Academy we are committed to providing our students with the most qualified and high-calibre teaching faculty available. All Oxford Royale Academy teachers are passionate about their subjects, and are looking forward to passing their knowledge on to their students this summer! For full details of last summer’s teaching faculty, please click here
Guest Lectures and Debates
At ORA, we go the extra mile to enhance the study abroad experience of our students. As part of this, every year our dedicated Events Team organises a series of fascinating guest lectures. Guest speakers come from a wide range of backgrounds and specialisms, including the worlds of online media, television and academia. Our students also have the opportunity to watch and participate in a number of debates, which take place on campus. These range from formal Panel Debates, involving teaching faculty and other staff, to informal discussions about current “hot topics” led by Counsellors.
The United Kingdom has a rich cultural heritage, and a course with Oxford Royale Academy is the perfect way for a young learner to explore this. All ORA courses include coach excursions to places of historical and social significance in the UK. On the Summer Architecture Programme, attendees will board the ORA coach to two such destinations.
At ORA, we never forget that our students are on holiday! Included with every ORA course is an extra-curricular timetable, carefully designed by our dedicated Events Team to ensure our students have fun, make friends and get the most out of their time with us.
Some past afternoon activities enjoyed by our students include the following:
- Punting: travel the waterways of the River Cherwell in a flat-bottomed boat, using a five-metre-long pole to propel your vessel! This mode of transport is unique to Oxford and Cambridge. Our team of Counsellors will be on hand to advise you (or to do it for you!).
- Summer sports: have you ever played the traditional English game of croquet? There will be the chance to do so on the lawns of your campus! Real tennis (a variation of tennis played indoors, with a heavier ball) has also been enjoyed by our previous students.
- Cultural tours: if you are thinking of applying to study at a UK university, an ORA course is the perfect opportunity to visit some of the country’s most famous sites. You will also have the chance to visit Oxford and Cambridge museums.
- Dance and music workshops: have you ever wanted to try Indian dance? How about Salsa dancing? Or drumming? Experts in these art forms will be dropping in to our campuses to run workshops, allowing our students to unleash their creative sides.
The events and entertainment on offer don’t stop when the sun starts to go down at our campuses! The following will be available to every student on our Summer Architecture Programme:
- Film nights on campus: catch a movie with your new friends, without having to leave your campus.
- Karaoke night: grab your friends and sing along to the latest hits.
- Themed parties at local hotels and country houses: head to a local venue and enjoy dinner and dancing with your friends from around the world. Every party has a theme: Hollywood, Venetian Masquerade and The Olympics are examples of past themes.
- Graduation: a formal graduation ceremony will be held on the last night of your course. This is followed by your Graduation dinner and party — a glamorous conclusion to your stay with Oxford Royale Academy!
Oxford Royale Academy’s summer programmes are designed with the academic rigour of their prestigious environment firmly in mind. Students studying ORA’s Summer Architecture programme will get the chance to live and study in the historic cities of Oxford or Cambridge. This course is residential in Balliol College (Oxford), and Clare College (Cambridge). Balliol College is one of the University’s oldest and most prestigious constituent Colleges. Ideally-placed in the town centre, it is a mere five-minute from the city’s shops, amenities, and tourist attractions. Clare College is known for its breathtaking architecture and historic quadrangles. It also boasts an enviable riverside location, its grounds comprising part of the iconic ‘Backs’ curving alongside the River Cam.
Our summer courses offer our students the complete study abroad experience. The grid below describes everything that is included with an ORA course:
- Over 20 taught hours per week
- Study files and materials
- Guest lectures from academic speakers
- Personalised academic reports
- Course certificate after graduation
- Wide selection of afternoon and evening activities
- 2 coach excursions per course
- Welcome and graduation events (parents invited)
- Accommodation in the Oxford or Cambridge
- Breakfast and Dinner included
- Free WiFi (subject to availability)
- Daily updates on the ORA blog (great for parents!)
- Private Medical / Travel insurance
- ORA T-shirt
- ID badge and lanyard
- Welcome and arrival packs
- Year group photo
- Course memento photos
- ORA notebook
The safety and security of our students is ORA’s top priority. All of the centres at which our courses run are safe, secure environments, which are perfect for our students. Each centre is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by a team of Porters. In addition, Oxford Royale Academy’s comprehensively trained team of campus staff are always on hand. If you join us this summer, you will see the following members of staff on your campus:
Some lessons on the Summer Architecture Programme will take place in the Campus; others are held at nearby venues in the city. Students who are required to travel to alternative venues are escorted by Counsellors on the first day, so they know how to get there safely and on time.
Most students who come to ORA will have to book a flight to the UK. ORA courses do not include flights. Information on the best time to arrive will be on your course confirmation email and in your Welcome Pack.
Arrival / Departure Transfers
ORA offers coach transfers between all of our campuses and London airports, for an extra charge. For more information, please click here.
Every year, ORA offers a number of scholarships to talented students aged 16-18 from around the world. If you would like to read more about the financial aid we can offer, please click here.
Welcome Reception and Graduation
Parents / family are welcome to attend these events at the start and end of their student’s course. For more information, please contact our Registrations Department on email@example.com.
Medical and Dietary Information
All students who enrol are required to complete our Medical and Dietary Information form. A link will be emailed to all students once their enrolment is confirmed.
Eligibility and Pre-requisites
Students on the Summer Architecture Programme:
- Must conform to our Age Policy.
- Must be fluent or near-fluent English language speakers – if you are unsure whether your English level is suitable for this programme, please contact our Registrations Team on firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be able to assist you.
- Must be able to fulfil the basic requirements of the programme, in terms of attendance at lessons, meals and events. Please contact our Registrations Team for more detailed information.
Dates, Fees and Locations
|Course Length||Course Dates||Course Fees||Location|
|2 weeks||1 Jul – 14 Jul||4,295 GBP||Balliol College (Oxford), Clare College (Cambridge)|
|15 Jul – 28 Jul||4,295 GBP||Balliol College (Oxford), Clare College (Cambridge)|
How to Apply
If you are ready to apply now, the quickest and easiest way to secure your place on the Summer Architecture Programme for 2018 is online. You will need full details of the student and, if different, the customer responsible for paying the fees, as well as a valid credit or debit card to submit the deposit payment of GBP 795.00 (we regret that we are not able to accept American Express as a form of payment).
To get started, please click the link below – you will be asked to choose the date that you would like to study the course.
If you prefer, you can complete our paper application form, which is available for download by clicking here. You can then return this to our offices by one of the following methods:
- Scan and e-mail to email@example.com
- Fax to +44 (0) 845 130 01 22
- Post to the address below
For enrolments via the paper application form, we are able to accept the GBP 795.00 course deposit by credit or debit card, bank transfer or cheque. Please see the form for full details.