During your time on this course you will become adept at planning a speech and using it to deliver a compelling argument. You’ll analyse techniques used in famous speeches from throughout history, including right up to the present day. You’ll look at the theory of speaking, as well as considering practical aspects such as body language and how they can help you win an audience round to your way of thinking. Throughout a series of workshops, you’ll build on your skills and get ample opportunity to put them into practice in the context of debates and presentations. You will develop your ability to speak clearly and articulately, working individually and in groups of varying sizes; giving individual speeches as well as taking part in group debates on topical issues.
Why take this course?
This course is designed to improve your confidence with public speaking, and it’s ideal for anyone who wants to become more articulate when speaking in front of other people in any context. The course is aimed at students and recent graduates aged 19 to 25. You could be a gap year student preparing for the more intense academic experience of university, an undergraduate wanting to improve your presentation skills, or a graduate aiming to enhance your CV with a valuable skill to set yourself apart from other candidates. Being able to speak confidently in public, as well as delivering a persuasive argument, will stand you in good stead throughout life – at university, in the workplace and in social contexts.
Every summer, ORA welcomes hundreds of the world’s brightest, most academically gifted students to our Oxford courses. In 2016, attendees came from 108 different nations, each bringing with them unique cultures, perspectives and stories to share with their new friends.
Timetable for students aged 19 to 25
Our Teaching Faculty
At Oxford Royale Academy we are committed to providing our students with the most qualified and high-calibre teaching available. All Oxford Royale Academy teachers are passionate about their subject, and are looking forward to passing their knowledge on to their students this summer! For full details of last summer’s teaching faculty, please click here
Guest Lectures and Debates
At ORA, we go the extra mile to enhance the study abroad experience of our students. As part of this, every year our dedicated Events Team organises a series of fascinating guest lectures. Last year these took place in the Examination Schools of the University of Oxford, allowing ORA students to experience a lecture in the same environment as a University student. Guest speakers come from a wide range of backgrounds and specialisms, including the worlds of online media, television and academia. Our students also have the opportunity to watch and participate in a number of debates, which take place on campus. These range from formal Panel Debates to informal discussions about current ‘hot topics’ led by ORA staff.
The United Kingdom has a rich cultural heritage, and a course with Oxford Royale Academy is the perfect way for a young learner to explore this. All ORA courses include coach excursions to places of historical and social significance in the UK. On the Public Speaking and Presentation Skills programme, attendees will board the ORA coach to two such destinations. Last summer’s coach excursions included visits to Blenheim Palace and London.
While the majority of your time at Oxford Royale Academy will be spent immersing yourself in public speaking, you’ll have some time off incorporated into your schedule so that you can make the most of your time in Oxford. You’ll have the chance to try your hand at punting on the River Thames – a quintessential Oxford summer activity. In the evenings, you’ll be able to try a variety of fun new things, such as salsa dancing or a cookery competition. You’ll get to go on day trips to exciting destinations such as Blenheim Palace and Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon, and at the end of your course you’ll celebrate your achievements with a special graduation ceremony and dinner
Some past afternoon activities enjoyed by our students include the following:
- Punting: travel the waterways of the River Cherwell in a flat-bottomed boat, using a five-metre-long pole to propel your vessel! This mode of transport is unique to Oxford and Cambridge.
- Summer sports: have you ever played the traditional English game of croquet? There will be the chance to do so on the lawns of your campus! Real tennis (a variation of tennis played indoors, with a heavier ball) has also been enjoyed by our previous students.
- College and museum tours: An ORA course is the perfect opportunity to visit some of the University of Oxford’s most famous Colleges (including New College, Magdalen College and Christ Church). You will also have the chance to visit Oxford’s Ashmolean Museum – famous for being the world’s first university museum.
- Dance and music workshops: have you ever wanted to try Indian dance? How about Salsa dancing? Or drumming? Experts in these art forms will be dropping in to our campuses to run workshops, allowing our students to unleash their creative sides.
The events and entertainment on offer don’t stop when the sun starts to go down at our campuses! The following will be available to every student on this programme:
- Outdoor theatre: many Oxford Colleges put on Shakespeare plays in their quads and gardens throughout the summer months.
- Karaoke in Oxford: head to a venue in Oxford and sing along to the latest hits.
- Themed parties at local hotels and country houses: head to a local venue and enjoy dinner and dancing with your friends from around the world; past venues include Ardington House in Oxfordshire and The Randolph Hotel in the city of Oxford. Every party has a theme: Hollywood, Venetian Masquerade and The Olympics are examples of past themes.
- Graduation: a formal graduation ceremony will be held on the last night of your course. This is followed by your Graduation dinner and party — a glamorous conclusion to your stay in Oxford!
The Public Speaking and Presentation Skills course for ages 19-25 is residential in colleges of the University of Oxford, enabling students to immerse themselves in the environment and atmosphere of one of the best universities in the world. Students on this programme will stay in Merton College, a secluded haven in the city centre, or Jowett Walk (part of Balliol College). Both colleges have strong claims to being the oldest of all the colleges of the University of Oxford, and our summer courses for ages 19-25 are designed with the academic nature of their setting in mind. In addition to their studies, participants will have plenty of free time to enjoy independent exploration of the inspirational city of Oxford, and to conduct their own research in Oxford’s libraries.
Our summer courses offer our students the complete study abroad experience. The grid below describes everything that is included with an ORA adult course:
- Over 15 taught hours per week
- Study files and materials
- Guest lectures from academic speakers
- Personalised academic reports
- Course certificate after graduation
- Wide selection of afternoon and evening activities
- 2 coach excursions per course
- Welcome and graduation events (+1s invited)
- Discounts at shops around Oxford
- Accommodation in the University of Oxford
- Breakfast and Dinner in the Hall
- Free WiFi (subject to availability)
- Daily updates on the ORA blog
- Private Medical / Travel insurance
- ORA T-shirt
- ID badge and lanyard
- Welcome and arrival packs
- Year group photo
- Course memento photos
- ORA notebook
The safety and security of our students is ORA’s top priority. All of the centres at which our courses run are safe, secure environments, which are perfect for our students. Each centre is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by a team of Porters. In addition, Oxford Royale Academy’s comprehensively trained team of campus staff are always on hand. If you join us this summer, you will see the following members of staff on your campus:
Some classes on the Public Speaking and Presentation Skills course will take place in College; others are held at nearby venues in the city.
Most students who come to ORA will have to book a flight to the UK. ORA courses do not include flights. Information on the best time to arrive will be on your course confirmation email and in your Welcome Pack.
Arrival / Departure Transfers
ORA offers coach transfers between all of our Oxford campuses and London Heathrow airport, for a small extra charge. We are also able to arrange taxi transfers from all other airports and destinations, again at an extra charge. For more information, please click here.
Every year, ORA offers a number of scholarships to talented students from around the world. If you would like to read more about the financial aid we can offer, please click here.
Welcome Reception and Graduation
Family are welcome to attend these events at the start and end of their student’s course. For more information, please contact our Registrations Department on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Medical and Dietary Information
All students who enrol are required to complete our Medical and Dietary Information form. A link will be emailed to all students once their enrolment is confirmed.
Eligibility and Pre-requisites
Students on the Public Speaking and Presentation Skills programme:
- Must conform to our Age Policy.
- Must be fluent or near-fluent English language speakers – if you are unsure whether your English level is suitable for this programme, please contact our Registrations Team on email@example.com and they will be able to assist you.
- Must be able to fulfil the basic requirements of the programme, in terms of attendance at lessons, meals and events. Please contact our Registrations Team for more detailed information.
Dates, Fees and Locations
|Course Length||Course Dates||Course Fees||Location|
|2 weeks||2 Jul – 15 Jul||4,295 GBP||Merton College|
|16 Jul – 29 Jul||4,295 GBP||Jowett Walk|
|30 Jul – 12 Aug||4,295 GBP||Jowett Walk|
How to Apply
If you prefer, you can complete our paper application form, which is available for download by clicking here. You can then return this to our offices by one of the following methods:
- Scan and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to +44 (0) 845 130 01 22
- Post to the address below
For enrolments via the paper application form, we are able to accept the GBP 795.00 course deposit by credit or debit card, bank transfer or cheque. Please see the form for full details.