Oxford Royale Academy is delighted to be offering a number of scholarships and bursaries for the Gap Year Programme (17-19).
“To be honest, I could not believe that I was awarded a scholarship: there are so many students with excellent extracurricular activities! Contrary to my beliefs, I discovered this is not only a grade-based achievement but a matter of effort, personality and enthusiasm, too. Remember that if you do not try, then you will never know.” (Scholarship Student, 2015)
Named after Thomas Garner, the leading architect who restored Yarnton Manor to its full glory in the late 19th century, these scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic merit and financial need, as well as the strength of the student’s personal statement, to deserving applicants from all over the world.
It was thanks to the work and skill of Thomas Garner that Yarnton Manor is such a beautiful place to live and learn today, so we have chosen to remember him in the naming of this scholarship award. With this scholarship, we seek to widen the pool of students who can benefit from our courses and encourage the diversity of cultures and backgrounds that make ORA courses so unique.
Who should apply?
Academically-minded, driven students from any country of the world are welcome to apply for a Thomas Garner Scholarship. You should have an excellent academic record and a demonstrable passion for your chosen subject. You should also be able to explain how a Thomas Garner Scholarship will benefit your academic ambitions.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- Aged between 17 and 19 at the commencement of tuition
- Able to speak, read, write and understand English
- Eligible to live and study in the UK for 10 weeks
- Able to demonstrate academic merit
- Able to submit evidence of financial need
|Session||Application Deadline||Final Decision Deadline|
|10 September – 17 November 2017||14 July 2017||31 July 2017|
|7 January 2018 – 16 March 2018||30 October 2017||13 November 2017|
|25 March – 1 June 2018||15 January 2018||29 January 2018|
- Submit the complete and accurate application form by the deadline stated in the table above.
- Submit the necessary supporting documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the stated deadline (using the subject line “Thomas Garner scholarship application: [STUDENT NAME]”), including:
– Proof of ID (official document showing date of birth)
– Most recent academic grades or examination results (official certificates)
– One teacher reference
– Evidence of financial hardship (official document such as tax return or equivalent)
- Applications are reviewed by the assessment members.
- Students will be informed of the assessment decision by the final decision deadline.
The Gap Year Programme (17-19) runs on the dates provided in the table above. While the standard cost of these courses is 13,995 GBP including tuition, accommodation and meals, scholars can receive up to a 50% reduction in their course fees.
This is a fully residential programme based in Oxford Royale’s historic International Study Centre, combining a stimulating range of tutorials, lectures, guided research, excursions, cultural activities and more.
In order to continue with your application, we ask that you fill out the application form found below.
We receive a huge number of applications for financial aid each year and only a small percentage of students are successful. Please be aware that travel costs are not included in any scholarship award. Students will be responsible for covering all travel costs incurred. The scholarship is available for the Oxford Gap Year only and cannot be transferred to another course. The panel’s decision is final.